Family Sponsorship


Family reunification remains one of the pillars of the Canadian immigration system. Achieving this goal is largely accomplished through the Family Class Sponsorship program.

Requirements for the Sponsor:
• Before you can utilize your right to sponsor family members to Canada, you must be at least 18 years old. Anyone under this age cannot file a Canadian family-sponsorship visa application. The sponsor must be at least 18 years of age;
• The sponsor must be a Canadian permanent resident living in Canada or a Canadian citizen;
• The sponsor cannot be in prison, bankrupt, under a removal order (if a permanent resident) or charged with a serious offence; and
• The sponsor cannot have been sponsored to Canada as a spouse within the last 5 years.

Four types of Family Class Sponsorship Program

1. Bringing parents or grandparents to Canada:
There are a number of ways to bring a parent or grandparent to Canada, including Canada’s parents’ and grandparents’ sponsorship program, which has a yearly limit on the number of applications that are accepted. Once this limit is reached, there is still the Super Visa Program which allows parents and grandparents to come to Canada on extended multi-entry visas that could last up to a total of 10 years. No matter which program you choose, it is important that you ensure that the parent or grandparent meets the eligibility requirements and that the sponsor themselves meet Canada’s sponsorship requirements. To learn more about these requirements and how they can be met, start your free assessment today.

2. Bringing your spouse or common law partner to Canada:

The process of bringing a spouse to Canada can present a number of options to the applicant that should be carefully contemplated. For instance, there exist two types of federal spousal sponsorship: inland and outland. Each of those two options carries its own advantages and disadvantages. It is also important to ensure that the spouse or common law partner meets the eligibility requirements and that the sponsor themselves meet Canada’s sponsorship requirements. There also may be a number of Provincial Family Class Sponsorship programs available to you. You will need to prove that your relationship with your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner is genuine. Proof of a genuine relationship with your spousal partner can be demonstrated via a marriage certificate and/or the following documentation:
• Frequent communication, such as letters, emails and phone calls
• Photos of you and your partner together
• Joint agreements, such as a lease agreement and/or bank accounts
To find out if you are eligible for spousal sponsorship, start your free assessment today.

3. Bringing a dependent child to Canada:
If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and have a dependent child abroad that you would like to bring to Canada, you likely may do so under Canada’s dependent child sponsorship program. As with all sponsorship programs, it is important that the dependent child meets the eligibility requirements and that the sponsor themselves meet Canada’s sponsorship requirements. To find out if you are eligible for one of the Family Class programs, we encourage you to start a free assessment today.

4. Bringing any other relative or friend to Canada:

Occasionally, a province in Canada may offer Canadian immigration options for relatives of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. Canadian immigration programs are subject to change, so we encourage you to start your free assessment, and we will match your individual qualifications and goals against the programs that are currently available.

An individual cannot apply to become a sponsor if he or she:

• did not pay an immigration loan, a performance bond and/or family support payments;
• failed to support a previously-sponsored relative, which resulted in the sponsored individual seeking social assistance to meet his or her basic needs;
• is under a removal order;
• is in a penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison;
• receives social assistance for reasons other than a disability;
• have filed for bankruptcy and have not received an ‘order of discharge’ by the court (he or she is still going through the process of bankruptcy);
• were sponsored and held permanent resident status for less than five years;
• sponsored another spouse/partner previously and three years have not passed since the sponsored spouse/partner became a Canadian permanent resident;
• have already submitted an application to sponsor his or her current spouse/partner/child and a decision was not yet made on his or her submitted application;
• were convicted of a violent or sexual offence or an offence that caused, attempted to cause or threatened to cause bodily harm to a relative.

Free Online AssessmentCan You Qualify ?